The best guidance is the guidance of Muḥammad – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him. And the worst affairs are those introduced…
- This means we are encouraged to strictly follow (ittibāʿ) the Sunnah
- It makes the intelligent person keen and concerned to make his way and behaviour follow that of the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him
Guidancehere refers to the Prophet’s Sunnah
- His Sunnah covers his entire life. It is defined as what is attributed to the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – of sayings, actions, approvals or qualities.
- Also included in the Sunnah is what the Prophet intended to do, but was not able to. Meaning, he died before he could do it – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him, e.g. fasting the ninth of Muḥarram (the day before ʿĀshūrā) to be different from the Jews. If a person fasts the tenth and the eleventh, this is fine, it is from his Sunnah because he told us to. It is even better to fast the ninth (along with the tenth), because the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – wanted to, but Allāh taʿālā chose to bring him to Himself and he joined the loftiest company (died) before the next year. Whoever fasts the tenth and eleventh has complied with the Prophet’s command, and has achieved the goal of differing from the Jews. But whoever fasts the ninth and tenth achieves that and more: by doing what the Prophet wanted and loved to do – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him.
- The Sunnah must be held in high esteem
- Whoever leaves it goes to the other side of good: the evil of following desires and bidʿah, the
worst of affairs
- All Muslims, human and jinn, are required to adhere to the Sunnah
- The Sunnah explains the Qurʾān, which is the source of our strength and honour.
And thus did We reveal to you an inspired book by Our command. You did not know what the Book was, nor (what) the faith (was), but We made it a light, guiding thereby whom We please of Our servants; and most surely you show the way to the right path…
Meaning of Qurān 42:52
- It is therefore upon all Muslims to follow this Prophet who came with this Book, and not to turn away from his Sunnah. The Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – said about such people,
All of my Ummah will enter Paradise, except those who refuse.When asked who refuses, he replied,
Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise, but whoever disobeys me has refused.