- Examples of forbiddances that are not in the Qurʾān but are in the Sunnah:
- Mutʿah (temporary marriage)
- Taking a woman and her aunt in polygyny
- The forbiddance of eating donkey meat
- The forbiddance of eating the meat of predatory animals and birds
- We must follow the Prophet in these matters, implementing what Allāh commanded us:
It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error.
Meaning of Qurān 33:36
- If we truly follow the Sunnah, then we respect and revere people in accordance with their reverence and respect for the Sunnah.
- A person is respected by us as much as he follows, reveres and governs himself with the Sunnah.
- And the more he leaves the Sunnah, the more he falls in our eyes.
- So a person who practices ittibāʿ (following of the Sunnah) is raised and revered, whilst a person who practices ibtidāʿ (innovation in religion) falls and diminishes.
- Whoever reveres the Sunnah and respects those who adhere to the Sunnah does not find it difficult to [contradict] anyone who contradicts the Sunnah, regardless of whether it is a person who makes an error whilst exerting a legitimate scholastic effort (ijtihād), or a person who contradicts the Sunnah following his desires (hawā):
- As for the follower of his desires, his matter is known
- As for a person who [mistakingly contradicts the Sunnah] because of a legitimate scholastic effort to arrive at the truth (ijtihād), if he is from the scholars who adhere to the Sunnah, the opinion in which he contradicted the Sunnah is rejected and refuted, whilst his status (respect) is maintained.
- This is because to us, the Sunnah is greater than any men.
- As for those who revere people more, they are the ones who try to find ways out of following the Sunnah. And woe to those who do such a thing. You can mourn for such a man, say four takbīr over him (as in janāzah), for his heart has died; people are more important to him, while he takes lightly the Sunnah of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him.