- As previously mentioned, the Sunnah explains the Qurān:
And we have revealed unto you the Reminder that you may clarify to people what has been sent down to them.
Meaning of Qurān 16:44
remindermentioned in this verse is the Sunnah, which explains the Qurān, which is what was
sent downto us. [00:18:31]
- Thus, whoever takes on the Sunnah is saved, but whoever leaves it is destroyed.
- The Sunnah explains and clarifies what is precis (unspecified) in the Qurān. Example: the command to
uphold the prayerin the Qurān is precis and the Sunnah has explained exactly how it is done, as in the ḥadīth:
Pray as you see me pray.[00:19:22]
- ‘The one who prayed incorrectly’ – Allāh be pleased with him – once entered the masjid and prayed while the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – was sitting with his Companions, watching him pray. When he had prayed, he came and greeted the Prophet. The Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – returned his greetings and told him
Go back and repeat the prayer for you have not prayed [properly].He went and prayed the second time just as he had the first time. He returned and greeted the Prophet a second time and the Prophet replied to his greeting – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him. He told him again
Go back and pray, for you have not prayed [properly].This was the second time. The man went and prayed, and when he came back for the third time, after having greeted the Prophet again and after the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – replied to his greeting, [he told him to go back and pray], he said,
I swear by the One Who sent you with the truth, I do not know any other way to pray [this is the best I know]. So please teach me.It is because of this that the scholars called the way he prayed isāʾah (done badly), because he said it was the best he could do, but the Prophet did not accept it, so even though he had done the best he could do, it was not in fact the proper required way of praying, that is why he is known as “the one who prayed badly / incorrectly.” The Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – then explained to him in detail how to pray, thus explaining what Allāh commanded in the Qurān:
aqīmū aṣ-ṣalāh(establish and uphold the prayer). [00:21:08]
- Likewise, the Qurān tells us to
pay Zakāh, but are the amounts payable on different types of livestock and crops mentioned in the Qurān? No, only the command to pay zakāh is found. The Sunnah of the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – explained the amounts and limits.
- Similarly, Ḥajj, the Qurān tells us
It is the people’s duty to Allāh to go to the House (Kaʿbah), whoever can…. The Qurān does not include more than this in the way of details. Is there another verse in the Qurān that explains this further? No. the Prophet – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – explained this; in the same way he did for prayer when he said
Pray as you see me pray,he said about Ḥajj:
Take your rites of pilgrimage from me.[00:22:02]
- Thus, the Sunnah explains the Qurān, clarifies what is precis (mujmal), qualifies what is unrestricted (muṭlaq) and specifies what is general (ʿām) in the Book.
- But the Sunnah also contains separate rulings, not mentioned in the Qurān. It is incumbent on us to take these rulings and commandments as well… [00:22:35]